Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sometimes you have to go through rainstorms to get the benefits of rainbows.

A pretty wicked thunderstorm rolled through Alvaton last night. Around midnight the sky was lit by the cracks of lightening and the thunder ripped through the air. I love a thunderstorm--it is a joy to me to sit out on the front porch and watch it roll through. Noah,however, does not share my joy in storms. In fact, his anxiety about storms can be at times a bit overwhelming. As the storm settled over our house,I could not get to sleep.I opened our windows so I could hear the pitter pat of the hard rain hitting the siding as it blew from the side into the house. I decided to go ahead and get out of bed. I woke Noah and asked if he wanted to sit out with me on the front porch to watch the storm. He was conflicted in sitting out on the porch during the storm, but the desire to be up out of bed and on a bit of adventure beat out any fears he was feeling. We cuddled up in the wicker seats and wrapped in a sheet to keep the wind from giving us too much of a chill. I sat there holding my boy who is getting too big to sit in my lap in the midst of a storm and began to think how it was not so long ago that same little boy would barely take up the space of an arm. I thought how in the not so distant future the idea of sitting in his mom's lap would seem a bit too small for him, though he assures me that even if he is 62 if I want him to he will cuddle up on my lap. Holding him there, I thought of the imagery of me holding on to my boy in the midst of the storm and how I hoped always to be able to hold his heart in the storms of life that face him. I thought of how that is what being home is...sitting in the arms of the embrace of the people who love you the most when just feet away there is lightening and thunder and a storm falling hard.

I hope that there will always be a sense of security in the midst of life's storms. Several weeks ago after a spring shower while we were at the soccer fields two large rainbows formed one under the other over the fields. You could see the bows each touch the ground on the left and the right. It was amazing. We chatted last night about how amazing a sight to see not one but two full bows. Noah then stated, "I guess you have to deal with a storm to get the benefits of seeing the rainbows." Oh to have learned such a lesson at 9. May he write that wisdom on his heart and may it bring him comfort when he is in the midst of his own storms. May he always be seeking the beauty of the rainbow as the rain clears.

Last night will be engrained on my heart forever. What a blessing to have such a son. What a joy to sit and hold him during the storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment